Waterfall Creek Bear Tour
See Alaska brown (grizzly) bears catch salmon beneath a dramatic waterfall during the peak of the summer season
Feel the energy of the Alaskan summer as bears chase salmon in the rapids in late-July and August. Chichagof Island, like Admiralty Island, is home to dense populations of large coastal brown bears; therefore you’re likely to get a great view. After a short walk along the shoreline, the waterfall comes into view. We’ll take a seat on the stream bank, so we have the opportunity to see bears fishing for salmon below the falls and in the rapids.
Waterfall Creek is the best place on earth to see bears catch salmon
The bears’ fishing activity is concentrated below the waterfall along approximately 200 yards of the creek. When the salmon are running, the bears know they’ll have the opportunity to easily catch them and gorge themselves. Therefore, this is a great location to see bears catch salmon. When bears are visible, they are typically 150 yards or closer.
Here are the specifics of the Waterfall Creek Eco-Tour:
- Waterfall Creek offers excellent chances to view wild brown bears fishing for salmon
- Maximum of five participants on every tour; however we may be able to accommodate groups up to 10.
- Guided by Alaskan professional naturalists specializing in bear behavior and temperate rain forest natural history.
- Fully outfitted, with rubber boots, rain gear (if needed), day pack, binoculars, and healthy snacks — in other words, everything you need for an enjoyable day on the creek.
- Shorter tour length, with a focus on observing the creek for bear activity.
- Similar length walk to viewing spot.
- Waterfall backdrop makes for dramatic photos.
- $739/person, all inclusive price from the Juneau airport (Guide Gratuity at your discretion).
- Trips mid-July through August.
To check availability and make reservations to see Alaskan bears catch salmon, fill out the form on this page with your desired dates and click “Check Availability”. If the date you want is not available, please call us at 907-209-5432 because often we can obtain other permits and flights to accommodate you.